18.2.08

Rome is Pretty Awesome

(my Martha Stewart looking Colosseum pic)


Well that was fun!


I had such a great time in Rome. There were so many amazing things to see, you just couldn't stop moving. I saw a ton of stuff--here's a basic rundown of my thoughts on Rome.

Getting Around
You get around on foot. Specifically, you get around on foot in alleyways. Alleyways with Colosseums at the end, alleyways with Pantheons at the end, alleyways with gelaterias at the end. 95% of your time is spent in winding, wending, cobblestoned alleyways.

Piazzas
Piazzas are squares around which there are shops and cafes and in the middle of which are fountains, statues and obelisks. There's a piazza filled with flower stalls (Campo di Fiori), a piazza with a fabulous fountain (Trevi), and even a piazza with a pope in it (Piazza di San Pietro). I think there's something like 800 piazzas in Rome.

Food
The food is touristy and good food is hard to find. This being said, we had some amazing carbonara, gelato, pizza, tortelini, gnocchi, and red wine. A few good meals in Rome is enough to overshadow a thousand crappy ones.

Sites
Best sites were definately Sistine Chapel, view from the top of St. Peter's Basilica, and walking around the Villa Borghese. The coolest thing I saw was the Crypto Archeologico, which is built entirely of monk's bones and mummified bodies. I'll tell you all about it tomorrow, with pictures, too.

Dirtiniess
Anyone who's told you Rome is dirty is right. I saw 3 men peeing in the middle of the street in the daytime, on 3 separate occassions. I smelled the most foul smells of my life. Also, I wore full jeans and tennies but the dirt from the street got under them and coated my legs with soot up to the knee. The city is breathtaking, but breathtakingly filthy. 3,000 years of dirt and soot tend to do that.


So Rome is fabulous and if you haven't been I definately recommend it. I've posted pictures from my trip on Picasa, you can check them out here, or in the Travel Pics section to the right up there at the top of the page!

Have a great Monday!

5 comments:

  1. Your pictures are absolutely amazing.I would have a field day if I went there with my camera. My favorite was pamarama of the Colosseum! That would have to be my new goal to see...since I havent been out of the mid-west (very sad). And finally Martha Stewart all the way! haha You have made my day. I need to start taking some pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you think roma is dirty you should visit Napoli, it by far is the dirtiest place i've ever been to! Also one of the most dangerious cities i think i've been to. It sounds like you had an amazing visit, loved looking at your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw man. i love rome. i need to move to europe, how do i do this? seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh kate, as your archaeologist friend it saddens me that your fav sites of Rome were much more Pope oriented than ancient. I mean seriously, did you go into the Pantheon?? true, you must get around the 200 scooters first, but then its amazing! And I totally agree with your sister...Naples is truly horribly dirty and scary. I had the police tell me there that i needed to hold onto my stuff tighter, the freaking police!! Though its worth it to get to Pompeii...you must go.

    ReplyDelete