8.2.08

Confusing Writing, Confusing Speech

Bugh, proofreading bonanza today. I'm literally butchering this 15-page bid intro (that's right--the INTRO to this document is 15 pages. Lordy lordy, I feel forty). These guys, they know their tech, they know their business catchphrases, but where the heck did they learn to write?! My head is, as they say here, "done in".

But come here, how are you? How's your Friday so far? Answer me this: How's come no one from Dublin can understand me? Do I speak jib? Do I not speak English?

Over Christmas, I called a wine shop to order some bottles as corporate gifts. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Hi, how much is a case of good red wine?
Wine Shop: ..............wha?
Me: Red wine. One box. How much?
Shop: ........WHA?!
Me: (sigh) RED. WINE.
Shop: I don't know what you're saying! You have to come into the shop.
Me: Really? You can't understand me? What are you, drinking the inventory?
Shop: WHA?!?!?!?!


LOL, that one left me a little miffed. I might have slammed the receiver a couple of times when I hung up. Hey, understand that, dumb lady? hee hee.


So then today I called an alteration shop...

Me: I need my trousers taken up. How much will it cost?
Tailor: Wha?
Me: Trousers
Tailor: Do wha?
Me: Taken up
Tailor: And wha?
Me: Price.
Tailor: You shoulda said tha' in the foorst place!

LOL! Man, Kate, when will you stop your errant mumbling and give people a sentance they can undertand!!

Anyway, I constantly have to repeat myself over here. Nearly everything anyone says after I speak is "wha?". I feel like I'm my own echo. You know, I've gotten used to Irish accents, and in the total year and a half that I've lived here it's gotten a lot easier to understand people. I think what that means is that we need MORE Americans to come over to give the Irish more experience talking to us! So come on over, come quick! Come often!


:)


Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment